This listing, “Psychology internships: undergraduates” is a work in progress. If you know of a psychology internship open to undergraduates from all over the country, please write in on the comments page and I will add it to the list. Our goal is a comprehensive list. Thank you.
Undergraduate psychology internships can be an important adjuvant to your psychology major. Psychology internships allow you to gain experience and to test out your interest in the field. But, sychology internships can be difficult to find. So, it’s a good idea to start your search early in the fall semester or even in the late summer.
For those interested in earning a doctorate in psychology, clinical research is essential. Although actual clinical experience is less critical to your application, it is important to get clinical experience for two reasons. First, before embarking on a doctoral program, it’s a good idea to test-out whether you enjoy clinical work. Second, it’s nice to start graduate school with some well developed listening skills.
In preparing your application, be sure to describe your clinical research experience and your clinical experience. Also, take coursework in statistics, research design and methodology. Finally, write a thoughtful psychology research cover letter.
Psychology internships: Undergraduates (Research)
- AAMC Association of Medical Colleges (undergraduate MD/Ph.D. programs)
- APA has a summer science fellowship for talented undergraduates interested in learning more about psychology
- The American Psychological Association provides a list of Research Opportunities & Internships
- Boston University – SURF program
- Colorado State University Summer Program on Mind and Brain (National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduate Site)
- Columbia University/Barnard College offers the Amgen Scholars Summer Research Progam
- FBI Internship programs
- The Johns Hopkins University Laboratory for Child Development Summer Internship Program
- MIT research program for non-MIT college students
- The National Science Foundation offers research experiences in psychology at selected schools
- National Science Foundation offers many opportunities for undergraduates
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NIH) Summer Program in the Neurological Sciences and Other Neuroscience Research Training and Funding Opportunities
- Psi Chi
- Undergraduate Research Program
- University of California – Irvine Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- UCLA Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR)
- University of Virginia Educational Psychology and Applied Developmental Science Summer
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Psychology Research Experience Program (PREP)
Psychology Internships: Undergraduates (Clinical)
- Camp Wediko (therapeutic summer camp)
- Davidson College Summer Academic Program at Broughton Hospital
- Pace University (undergraduate counseling center internship)
- Center for Children and Families, Florida International University
Psychology fellowships for graduate school
These scholarships are for under-represented groups and for first generation college students with financial need.
How do you go about applying for these internships? And for graduate school? Read, below.